6/19/2013

Essence

A part of a Q program (on CBC Radio 1) I heard a few days ago recounted the life of photojournalist Tim Hetherington. At one point, the interviewee, Sebastian Junger, said that Tim's primary approach wasn't as a photographer, per se, but as someone who wanted to understand the human experience. That desire was apparently key in his subjects opening themselves up emotionally and ultimately allowing him to capture photographically the essence of whatever particular moment or situation he was pursuing.

Well after many minutes of painstakingly typing and deleting the various attempts I've made to continue this entry, I seem to have lost perspective on what I was initially trying to get at.

I guess I just wanted to note that interesting point that a person's career can be more of an indirect extension of him/herself and that I definitely relate to that desire to understand the human experience, that is, to understand those unique sets of circumstances that each member of our species finds itself in and then attempting to distill all of that into a few essential human components.

No comments: